Equipping a soft drink factory with measuring instrumentation
Application Note | Food & Beverage
- Flow and level measurement
- Safety control for dry-run prevention of pumps
- One single contact person from the project planning phase until start-up
A French mineral well operator has opened a new production plant for lemonades and soft drinks. Inaddition to its own spring water, the company uses mainly syrup and CO2 in production.
Measuring technology continuously monitors all parameters including flow and level, pressure and conductivity to ensure a smooth process flow and a high-quality end product.
It is mandatory for the devices used to meet the high requirements of the food and beverage industry. The measuring devices must feature suitable hygienic connections, be manufactured using foodgrade materials and be suitable for use in CIP cleaning.
KROHNE supplied all of the measuring instrumentation for thisproject. This includes, among other things:
- OPTISWITCH 6500 level switches used for level detection in the processing tanks and as dry-run protection for the pumps.
- OPTIFLUX 6300 electromagnetic flowmeters for liquid transport
- OPTIMASS 7300 Coriolis mass flowmeters with titanium straight tubes for highly precise density and flow measurement of the syrup as well as for dosing and transporting products to theprocessing facilities
- OPTISWIRL 4070 vortex flowmeters for carbonation, i.e. the injection of CO2 during soft drink production
KROHNE also supplied other devices such as conductivity sensors (for the CIP cleaning systems) and pressure transmitters (to measure the level in the processing tanks), all from the one source.
As a result of all the devices coming from the one source, the customer benefits from maximum transparency in terms of both production and product quality. During the course of the project, KROHNE consulted extensively with the customer regarding the selection and design of the measuring technology. This included in particular: the technology used, the right sizing of the measuring devices, recommendations for installation, start-up and staff training. This way, the customer had the benefit of just onecontact person from the project planning phase all the way through to start-up.